Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Forever

 "I find of late I have very little choice in the matter of expressing emotions. I can drink or I can weep, and drinking is so much more subtle.....
  Someone should remind her that Christmas is more than barging up and down department store aisles and pushing people out of the way. Someone has to tell her that Christmas is another thing, finer than that. Richer. Finer. Truer. And it should come with patience, love, charity and compassion. That's what I would have told her if she'd given me the chance.
  I don't know how to tell you Mr.Dundee. I don't know at all. All I know is that I'm an aging, purposeless relic of another time, and I live in a dirty rooming house on a street filled with hungry kids and shabby people, where the only thing that comes down the chimney on Christmas eve is more poverty.
  You know another reason why I drink Mr.Dundee? So that when I walk down the tenements I can really think it's the North Pole and the children are elves and that I'm really Santa Claus bringing them a bag of wondrous gifts for all of them.
  I just wish Mr.Dundee, on one Christmas, only ONE, that I could see some of the hopeless ones, and the dreamless ones....just on one Christmas, I'd like to see the meek inherit the earth."


                The great Art Carney giving voice to the great Rod Serling 52 years ago on the episode 'Night Of The Meek' on The Twilight Zone, in glorious black and white.  Peace on earth everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment